1. Add support to the simulation of fiber-optic endoscope at the inner tissue.
2. Add some new parameters and the version of the parameter file has been updated to 2.3. The latest version still supports the older versions of the parameter file.
3. Change the way of output of the detector result under CW simulation. First, output the result of the plane detector, followed by the result of fiber detector.
4. Fix the errors of the simulation property input dialog.
5. Fix some other errors, enhance the stability of the software to run, and improve the efficiency of the algorithm.
Feature list of MOSE v2.2
1. Support three kinds of forward simulations in optical molecular imaging: BLT, DOT, and FMT. The simulation algorithms are based on the MC method.
2. Support three kinds of simulation modes: CW, TD, and FD.
3. Support the description of the medium with a regular shape (ellipse, rectangle) under 2D, regular shape (ellipsoid, cylinder, cube) under 3D and irregular shape (the boundary is described by a triangle mesh; for example, data in PLY, OFF, SURF, MESH, and AM formats), and it’s helpful for the users to implement the MC simulation under a complex medium.
4. Support the simulation of light propagation in free-space to the panel detector (such as CCD) under CW. The algorithm is based on the theory of pinhole imaging and Lambert’s cosine law.
5. Support the function of mapping the 2D detection results from a multi-angle to the 3D surface of the complex medium.
6. Support Windows and Linux systems.
7. Support multi-thread optical simulation using the OpenMP API.
8. Absorption results can be saved as photon absorption or photon flux density.
9. Support threshold extraction of the medical image data. Users can extract the boundaries of different organs based on the threshold setting (the data can be used in the MC simulation).
10. Support simplification of the trianglar mesh, where it can reduce the mesh number effectively.
11. Support boundary extraction of the tetrahedral mesh.
12. A rich image display mainly includes:
1) The display properties of the tissues can be set independently, including color, transparency, solid/wireframe display, and whether or not to use a display.
2) There are two ways to show simulation results (absorption and transmittance results): Point rendering-based and surface rendering-based.
3) It can display multiple layers (parallel to the XY, YZ or XZ plane) of the absorption results simultaneously which is helpful for users to quickly analyze the simulation results.
13. Support the input and output of the parameter and result files under various types of simulation. All of the files are managed by the project file (.MSE).